Friday, July 29, 2011

Backseat drivers

This week, I have spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel. Tuesday, I blasted through town on errands for the Water Board, Mbalanguzi Renovation Project, Beit Housing Project, overdue accounts, etc. all while trying to keep track of 3 other people and where they needed to go. Wednesday, I bounced all the way to Mbalanguzi clinic (it's 25 km into the bush) and to the airport. Today, I was just a chauffeur. On Tuesday, Ed complimented me by saying I appeared to know my way around town quite well. However, Cristy asked me to take her some places in town today, very few of which I knew. I turned to her and asked, "Would you like to drive?" (this came out a bit brash even though it was supposed to be jest, pepani amai). She joked that she was content to be a backseat driver and we left it at that.

Why do we have backseat drivers? Some, such as myself, are control freaks. We can't risk our fate to the hands of others, even if our skills are inferior. A few people earnestly believe they are better at driving than whoever is actually driving. A generous dose of criticism occasionally follows, the constructive-ness can be debated. I like to think of a third group as lab rat technicians. They will happily provide helpful suggestions (turn right, change lanes, etc.) even if it's a little bit late. Otherwise, they are content to sit back, watch what happens, and come to conclusions. Occasionally, these are then proclaimed for all to hear. Finally, there are the people who are simply accustomed to driving a different way (slower/faster, aggressive/defensive, granny style/videogame tutored, male college dropout with a street racer and a sound system worth more than his house-style) and comment. But does backseat driving still qualify as such if the driver never hears it?

This week has been exceptionally frustrating, for a menagerie of reasons. There were many times when I wanted to turn to someone and say, "Since you think you can do a better job, here you go!" I see technical shortcomings around the hospital, although more often than not the problems find me. Beyond what is officially given to me are more general issues. Typically and thankfully, I'm not directly involved, but rarely do I lack an opinion. I may think "Yes, he's right", "No, that's not wasteful", "Uh oh, she is showing her knees (here, women showing their knees is considered indecent)", or "That pear bread is delicious." But is it helpful to have an opinion? Should I stick my nose where people haven't requested it be stuck? Is an outside viewpoint going to be helpful? Does playing the devil's advocate make one a heathen, a heretic, or a criminal? My goal for the week is to be less condescending (whether verbally or mentally) to people's faces and less of a flibbertigibbet behind them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a backseat driver. Mostly I scream. Softly. And grab for things. But then, most of my friends drive like maniacs on speed, and I'm in very real fear of losing my life. What category is that?
    --Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you have been able to survive the crazy life over there. Hope those girls keep their elbows covered as well. Wouldn't want anything bad to happen ;)

    ReplyDelete