Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mosquito nets

Do you remember going camping in the summer and spritzing enough mosquito repellent on your arms/face/neck/legs/eyes to exterminate all life forms from 10 feet away? I do and always remember liking the smell even if it was 100% DEET, 100% toxic, and 100% guaranteed to repulse attractive women. Surprisingly, I can't envelop myself in such cheap diluted non-fragrant chemicals of asphyxiation. I have no mosquito repellent, and, quite honestly, no interest in obtaining any. Here in Malawi (did I tell you I am back in Malawi? I came back about 10 days ago), there are critters. This morning, I found a cockroach in my back pack, a large spider on the ceiling, a grasshopper on the indoor stairs, and gnats in the shower. Finding only 4 species was a bit odd, usually there are more. Last night, I distinctly remember slapping myself in the face for some buzzing vermin that I could hear but not see. If there were 3 dozen cockroaches in my bed or 13 divisions of army ants in my food or the fleas of a thousand camels infesting my armpits, I might complain. However, unlike at home, it is bearable to live with a small collection of these.

One topic on everyone's (ok, "everyone" is a relative term) mind is mosquitos, which means the upcoming malaria season. Mosquitos don't care much for me, but trying to sleep with one buzzing is more impossible than perpetual motion. The most common defense is a net, which seems like the most flimsy defense system ever devised. Since arriving in Africa, I have used a mosquito net about 10% of the time and haven't contracted malaria, which makes me the most fortunate person I know. Yes, there are drugs like mefloquine and doxycycline, but my personal preference is to avoid insomnia, liver damage, sun sensitivity, or whatever other side effects might befall me. But this mosquito net is not a perfect defense. For instance, gnats can breach them, which is annoying. My German friend Julian got tangled in his, which provided a good laugh. Mosquito nets aren't practical for most daytime activities either, particularly anything else that requires movement or physical contact such as fixing medical suction pumps. Mosquito nets have a purpose. However, you must leave the safety and security of your net in order to do the work given to you.

1 comment: